How schizoaffective disorder impacted the relationship with my family is both complex and in some way difficult to explain. The paranoia that I have often manifests in feelings and thoughts that people are out to hold me back or destroy me. Couple this with the fact that illness also can make me think that people can read my mind and that they are judging me based upon my thoughts and it quickly becomes a shit storm.
For
the most part my family is unaware of the fact that I have
schizoaffective, They are still under the belief that I suffer from
bipolar disorder. At this time I have chosen not to explain to my
parents my true diagnosis because even though they are educated that
still fall prey to stigmatizing those with mental illness. So by
telling them my actual diagnosis I risk having them become even
angrier than they already are.
In
their minds people with serious mental illnesses must have done
something thing that caused it.They are also under the mistaken
belief that people with psychotic illnesses such as
schizoaffective have extremely low levels of functioning and
need to be hospitalized. Both of which are untrue. Yes,having
schizoaffective does impact my relationship with them but I am not
really sure that this impact could be changed by full disclosure.
One
of ways that my relationship with them has been impacted negatively
involves trust. I don't really trust them and I am highly suspicious
of their motives. Often times my thoughts revolve around how they
have not only hate me but that they have gone out of their way to
make sure that I don't succeed in life. I have found myself studying
their facial expressions looking for clues that might betray their
true intentions.
As
you can imagine this has caused a major strain on our relationship.
In the past, before I had some insight into my illness I would become
argumentative and down right nasty verbally to them. What they saw
was an ungrateful daughter and what I saw was two people tying to
destroy my life. There was also a tendency for them to mock my
illness. They couldn't figure out why their child spoke of bizarre
things such as demons and the fact that I lived an alternate life.
They couldn't grasp the concept that these beliefs were a symptom of
a serious illness and instead made fun of it.
They
also placed extraordinary high expectations on me. I was expected to
go to college, never mind the fact that I was far from stable and had
little to no support system in place. As you can imagine it worked
out as would be expected, I failed out of college. The instability I
had in relation to my illness and my near lack of support made it
difficult to achieve even simple goals.
During
that time period therapy sessions were futile. I got very little out
of it because the majority of family sessions revolved around typical
teenager behaviors such as lack of a clean room, preference for
hanging out with friends over family. There were a few behaviors that
were brought up that were legitimately the result of my illnesses but
they were resistant to suggestions form my treatment team.
For
them my illness was a badge of shame. Something that wasn't talked
about. This meant that I had no outlet to unload my inner thoughts
and fears, I would remain silent during therapy or choose to only
talk about things that were of little value. This is also why that
therapist and psychiatrist missed the symptoms of schizoaffective
disorder.
There
was so much talk of why the medicine wasn't working. I would be
accused of not taking them. Yet I did take them as was prescribed. I
would be told time and time again by my parents that all I needed was
a swift dose of reality, yet what I needed was medication that would
help quell the broken mind I had. In effect my own silence on the
full extent of my symptoms meant that I was only being treated for
one half of it.
The
breaking point came in my very early twenties. I was tired of the
ridicule. Tired of the perceived anger and hatred toward me. I was
tired of the shame and eye rolling I got when I tried to discuss my
illness. I was mentally worn down from both my battle with my illness
alone and trying to get across that I wasn't playing games, a phrase
I heard often when symptoms would interfere with my life. and left
the area. For years I distanced myself from them having minimal
contact with them. In my opinion that seemed to help a little. Once I
moved back o the area though those thoughts came back full force and
were actually even stronger. I would again seek treatment, but only
after having suffered a severe bought of psychosis. It was during
this new venture back into therapy that I would be diagnosed as
having schizoaffective disorder.
There
is a part of me that knows that I should explain my illness and the
way that it manifests to them. But at the same time I fear the
disappointment and anger that might be displayed even if those
perceptions of their reactions are a figment of my illness. Too great
is the rift between us for me to rely on them for support. Instead I
bumble along, make do what I do have and do my best to keep my
contact with them to a minimum. In the near future I will moving away
again, perhaps then I will tell them and attempt to educate them on
this illness.
If
you are the parent of a person with mental illness please educate
yourself on it. Don’t give into the temptation to blame. No one is
at fault, not you not them. Support them as much as you can. Open
those lines of dialog so that they feel safe talking to you. Treat
them no differently as you would if they had a serious physical
illness. Because the nature of these illnesses are brain related
doesn't make them any different or real. Don't make them feel as if
there illness makes them second class. Instead surround them with as
much love and support that they need to aid in their recovery. That
is the single important thing you can do for your son or daughter.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete