Skip to main content

Impact of Schizoaffective Disorder : Part two


Besides family issues having schizoaffective disorder presents challenges when it comes to working. I currently hold a part time low skill job. This job is both beneath my intellectual capacity and skill set. I work this job because it allows me to work in a relatively low stress environment. It also helps that it is close to where I live since I do not drive.

I don't drive because I have a paranoid belief that I am going to be involved in an accident. As a passenger I am able(or at least I try to) to meditate and distract my mind of these thoughts. For years I held the belief that this might be the result of some underlying anxiety disorder. When I was diagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder it became pretty clear that is yet another falsely held paranoid belief. Also being easily distracted by stimuli in the environment means that I would be a distracted driver, something that does not lend itself to safe driving skills.


The lack of a drivers license is somewhat of an issue with my family. They feel that I should get one to gain better independence and relying less on others. The problem is my paranoia is so great that it hinders any chance of me actually achieving this. Thankfully my job is close enough that should the need arise I could walk to and from it.

I say this job is low skill because very little to no ability is needed to perform it. This job can easily be performed while on autopilot. I currently work in a laundry facility. The tasks of my job are pretty much the same day to day and hardly ever vary by much. There is also little need for interactions with others to perform my job and working a steady set shift allows me to regulate both medication and sleeping schedules. This job allows for a lowered stress way of earning some basic money. Its not a lot and we barely scrape by but at least I am not always stressed out by a day at work.

Would I like a better paying job or more hours? Yes, but the risks to my stability is too great Other jobs I have held also had there own obstacles from erratic shift work that messed with my sleep schedule to massive loads of stress that destabilized me.

Now that’s not say that I have been fully symptom free working this job. In the past I have had symptoms interfere with my job. Days where I was so distracted that it was a struggle to complete my assigned duties. I have had to go to work while mildly psychotic and try not let it show that I was in the midst of fighting bizarre beliefs and constantly reality checking everything.

Having laid back management and absent administration helps a lot. It allows me some breathing room if the need arises that psychosis or other symptoms rise to a level where my job might actually be at stake to do strange unusual behavior. For now most people at work just think that I am quirky. That on the few occasions where I have talked of bizarre topics it was believed due more to an odd sense of humor and not a mental illness.


So for the time being I will continue to underachieve and stumble through life with as little stress as possible. I hope that sometime in the near future that my situation will change and I can stay stable while working in a more challenging environment befitting my intellect.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex and Mental Illness

Mental health issues can have a great impact on sexual health. Sex is sometimes considered a taboo subject for people and getting them to talk about it can be difficult. The effects of mental health on ones sex life can also be an embarrassment, from behaviors that lead to risky sexual practices to loss of libido from depression or the medications used to treat mental illness. These impacts can greatly distress a person and even sometimes cause rifts in relationships.

Impact of schizoaffective disorder :Part One

How schizoaffective disorder impacted the relationship with my family is both complex and in some way difficult to explain. The paranoia that I have often manifests in feelings and thoughts that people are out to hold me back or destroy me. Couple this with the fact that illness also can make me think that people can read my mind and that they are judging me based upon my thoughts and it quickly becomes a shit storm.