*When ever I
post about medication, this is neither an endorsement or meant to
influence others choices about medication. Each person is different
and medication results and side effects are often different for each
person.
Two months ago my
Pdoc switched me from Seroquel to Zyprexa, besides working better to
help silence my mind and getting rid of my paranoia I also noticed an
appetite increase. This has led to a new approach in weight
management and meal planning. If I didn't employ the following
tricks and tips I honestly believe that I would see the dreaded
weight gain that is associated with Zyprexa
1. I now schedule
all meals and snacks. I make sure that each meal offers me enough
calories and nutritional value to keep me healthy. I do not eat
outside of these scheduled meals and snacks no matter how hungry I
am. Will power is key here. The increase in appetite took me
surprise.
2. When hunger hits
I up the distractions. This can mean doing house work or simply
reading. I try to distract myself from the hunger. I know I am
receiving enough nutrients in my daily meals that pushing off this
hunger isn't going to harm me physically.
3. I watch my
portions very closely. I make sure that every thing I eat is exactly
a single serving. If I am still hungry during a meal and I do go for
seconds I make sure that it only the low calories vegetables. I never
go for thirds no matter how hungry. If I didn't do this I would
easily over eat and after even a full meal I am still hungry.
4. For snacks I have
been including more low calories choices such as sugar free Jello (10
calories) or raw fruits and vegetables. I have been trying to keep my
snacks to under a 75 calories per snack.
5. I replaced my
sugar that is added to my morning coffee and evening tea with a no
calories substitute sweetener . Ask your health care professional
which substitute is right for you.
6. All sugary drinks
are replaced with water. I really don't think people understand how
soda can have many different negative impacts on health and weight.
7. I have been
making sure that I am physically active throughout the day. Besides
daily exercise I have added hand scrubbing my floors to my my daily
cleaning list. This allows me to burn an extra 100 or calories a
day.
8, If you notice
unhealthy cravings for carbs and sweets get them out of your house.
Some fruits are a great substitute for sweet cravings. Go with what
works for you.
9. Keep a food log.
Many people are unaware of their actual calorie intake, by keeping a
log you will have an accurate picture of just how much you are
consuming.
I'm not going to
lie, its rough dealing with the appetite increase that Zyprexa has
caused. So far I have managed to maintain my weight but its been
hard work and has taken tons of will power to do so. Over time it
gets a little easier to manage the constant hunger and cravings. The
key is sticking to a plan that works best for you.
Comments
Post a Comment