Being back in
treatment has meant that various positive effects have been seen in
various areas of my life. That is not to say that there hasn't been
any negative consequences because of the medications being used. I
suffer from near constant food cravings that has resulted in me not
only closely watching my diet but also has resulted in me having to
come up with an exercise program and sticking with it. I have also
suffered from some daytime sedation that has has caused me to also
slack in both departments. I am also a tad more forgetful than I
once was. Yet these are so miniscule when compared to the positive
effects that I have had.
I have found that I
have a renewed focused. My mind appears to be less cluttered and
noisy. I find it easier to engage in activities that I enjoy such as
reading and doing puzzle books such as word finds and Sudoku. These
are also activities that I use in stress management so being able to
once again engage in them has subsequently led to a decrease in
stress levels and a more positive outlook. Six months ago I was
distracted by thoughts that it would have been impossible to do
these.
Achieving goals
appears to be easier. I need less effort to check off some of the
projects on my do lists. I have the sustained attention that is
needed to complete complex items such as reorganizing, decluttering
and downsizing of belongings. This ability is not the same as a
manic induced whirlwind of activity. It is more of a subdued this
needs to be done so get to it attitude. This has resulted in a more
organized and neat living space.
For the first time I
am focused on my health. Not just my mental health but physical as
well. I have been watching what I eat and slowly switching bad
dietary habits such as junk food and soda to better options such as
fresh fruits, vegetables and water. I have been working on exercising
more and making it a daily part of my stress management. These
positive changes have led to a boost in energy and determination.
I have noticed that
I have been calmer and less on edge. Others have noticed this as
well. That is not to say that I haven't been stressed I have just
found that it is far more easier to relax. I have been more social
and even able to pick up extra shifts at work without having the
extra work lead to mental exhaustion or a worsening of symptoms.
Honestly I can live
with the negative side effects right now thanks to the positives, I
have gotten some control back in regards to my life and while I have
a ways to go still I am happy and encouraged with the results that I
have seen.
I really hope that
by continuing to blog that others find the courage and will to enter
treatment. I understand that for some the negative impact from
medicine can be to great or even the fear of such impact that result
in a refusal for treatment. That I why I advocate that treatment
should be patient controlled. Voice your concerns and fears, but
also weigh the pros and cons. Be active in mapping your treatment
plan.
Six months ago the
very thought of me blogging was questionable. My mind would not
allow me to stay focused and my energy levels were unpredictable. In
six short months I have had enough gains to know that sticking with
treatment is a viable option.
Comments
Post a Comment